Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sweethearts

This cake was made for a Bridal Shower that happened to be close to Valentine's Day. Since they were going with the Valentine's theme for the decor, I suggested we make a conversation hearts cake and feature the bride and groom, their wedding date, honeymoon location, etc. on the hearts. It turned out great! My only regret was that since the temperature here was freezing, my garage fridge was so cold it was like putting the cake in the freezer overnight (the filling needed refrigeration). When I pulled it out in the morning for delivery, the black lettering on the side began to bleed from the fondant sweating. grrrrr!!!! but it could have been worse! At least the rest of the stuff stayed need and clean.

I learned a lot with this one too.  1. that the Aussie cake makers have it right! Ganache under fondant is so much easier to work with!!!! 2. in making a box like this, royal icing can work like spackle and fill cracks and corners! 3. white food coloring is AWESOME!!!! Gotta give God the credit on this one. I tried a lot of new techniques, which could have gone badly, but He definitely helped me through this one. (especially when working on it at 4:00am when the mind wasn't quite so sharp!)



No comments:

Post a Comment